Being an Ex-Buddhist Monk

Discussion on Dharma and related subjects in English language.
Viesti:

Re: Being an Ex-Buddhist Monk

ViestiKirjoittaja ... » 24 Maalis 2014 13:12

jee kirjoitti:
One thing I can't understand. Why one have to go to monastery and have a really boring life, If one can achieve all those same things while living family life in a modern society?

:brave:

For what it is worth, here's my opinion: not everyone is suited for monastic lifestyle. That's why Siddhartha taught many paths, including Vajrayana - let's not get into Dharma© debate, that's whole different topic, and needs it's own thread. Supposedly, in the later years of Buddha, he taught Vajrayana to those who didn't want to give up anything, but still wanted to achieve enlightenment. King Suchandra was one of those, and first Tantra teaching - Kalachakra - was taught to him. The legend tells us, that when Siddhartha taught these teachings, he first asked all those to whom it was too much, to leave the place.

jee
Viesti:

Re: Being an Ex-Buddhist Monk

ViestiKirjoittaja jee » 24 Maalis 2014 23:29

Raitanator kirjoitti:For what it is worth, here's my opinion: not everyone is suited for monastic lifestyle. That's why Siddhartha taught many paths, including Vajrayana...Supposedly, in the later years of Buddha, he taught Vajrayana to those who didn't want to give up anything, but still wanted to achieve enlightenment.
Hey thanks, going to read about this.

Palaa sivulle “English Dharma Discussion”